10 steps to ensure you don't sacrifice growth for comfort while parenting.
The most important thing as a parent is never to sacrifice chidren's long-term growth for short-term ease.
And here follows ten things to do to ensure long term growth.
- Talk over the issues you wish you would have known about being an adult.
- Encourage them to try their hand at things that stretch them and occasionally even fail.
- Discuss future consequences when they fail at mastering certain assignments. While its okay to fail, they need to realise the consequences too.
- Help them in matching their abilities to real-world problems.
- Encourage them to try their hand at projects that require patience. This would help them learn about delayed gratification.
- Life is about choices and trade-offs; teach them at an early age that they can’t be expected to do everything.
- Initiate adult tasks like managing money, paying bills and encourage deal making behaviour.
- The best mentors for them exist in your own network of friends and family. Introduce them to potential mentors and encourage them to ask questions.
- Vision boards are best in helping them envision a fulfilling future. Help them build one and then discuss the steps to get there.
- Celebrate progress at every stage of their life.
- So while you ask yourself the question of how best are you as a parent, it's time you also ask yourself the question - Are you sacrificing their long-term growth for short-term ease.
5 ways to enable your child's future
Helping your child explore careers
4 steps to creating a portfolio
Actively align life's goals with the right mutual fund investment
Get smart with your asset allocation
10 steps to ensure you don't sacrifice growth for comfort while parenting
Is equity all that risky?
Raising children in a diverse world